Proverbs 16:9

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."
Galatians 5:25

"Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Grandma Turns 92

Anna Lois Bean, as she was named, graced her family on September 18, 1922. It would be my guess that she was welcomed with an abundance of joy as she was the first girl to be born in the family, following four strapping young boys. A fifth brother would follow two years after her. A sister was born December 20, 1931 but passed away a short five days later on Christmas.



So, an only girl in a house full of boys, she grew up in a tiny town called Richland, Kansas. It was a small community with strong ties taken over to build a lake long before I was born but many of my grandmother's memories have been passed on to me.





Her brothers went on to join the war efforts after high school and Grandma did her part as well. In 1942 she moved east to Washington D.C. after graduating and worked as an administrative assistant to a war general there. While she was there she legally changed her name to Lois Ann. Lois was a hip name then. Grandma told me a couple of years ago she wishes she hadn't done that. Looking back she thought it was wrong to change the name her mother had given her.

"The day I left on the bus to go to work for the 
government in Washington, D.C.    Clyde and Lois 1942"

She didn't stay long though. Grandpa won her heart and she returned back home to marry him in 1944.



Grandma and Grandpa raised three babies together on the family farm just north of Overbrook and just south of Grandma's hometown, Richland.

Judy, Lois, and Clyde in back.
Tom and Cyndi in front.

Those three babies grew up, got married and had some babies of their own. Grandma has seven grandchildren to call her own and oh, how she loves each and every one of us.




Then, those grandbabies grew up, had babies of their own and now Grandma has ten great grandbabies to love on! I always thought of myself as pretty special to Grandma, then when my cousins and I started having babies I saw a new level of awe and admiration in her as she cradled each new great grandbaby.

Great Grandma and Gabe

Great Grandma and Barrett

Great Grandma and Ellie

Today Grandma turns 92 years old. She has always been a source of joy, security, and love for me. Growing up she was always lending a hand to help someone and serving in multiple capacities in the church. Grandma loved a good party in her younger years and loved a good card party in her older years. She stayed active in flower club, hobby club, and busy bee club serving in leadership roles for many years. She was an incredibly strong and independent woman.

And, maybe at this point you're wondering why I've switched to the past tense. It's hard to talk about this. It's heart breaking to think about this.

Grandma's mind has been slowly, and painfully taken from her body piece by piece over the last few years. She's still here, alive and well, living with my Aunt Judy, Grandma's oldest baby. The doctor says she's as healthy as a horse, except for her mind. In the beginning stages of memory loss she was embarrassed at forgetting or repeating without realizing she was repeating. She was frustrated by it. Who wouldn't be? At first it was small things and not often, but over time the deterioration of her mind has caused the memories of even those closest to her to slip away for long periods of time.

For a while the family helped Grandma stay at home by herself. Everyone pitched in to make her meals. Uncle Tom, who still runs the family farm, carried the majority of the load checking in on her multiple times a day. Finally this past Spring they decided the best thing would be for her to move in with Aunt Judy.

It's been a challenging transition. Independent and strong Lois is still in there. She is certainly the matriarch of our family. I don't understand why some minds have to go so long before the body. Grandma still has "good days" and "good moments". Sometimes she is quite lucid and it's like there was nothing missing to begin with. Without warning though, those moments will pass and she can't tell you what she did five minutes ago, let alone remember someone from years ago.


Thinking about her living in this state of a wandering mind, I am saddened by it. I cherish the "good moments" more than I ever cherished moments with her before and I cling to something she has said to me several times over the last few years.

"I have lived a very good and long life. I'm ready to go when the time comes." Grandma is happy to have lived the life she has thus far. She is grateful for the richness in family. She loves Jesus and she has passed that love on to her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. I am happy to celebrate with her this 92nd year of life. And, I will be happy and grateful to celebrate as many more years as the Lord gives.

No comments:

Post a Comment