The boys totally have the rhythm of day one down now and they hurriedly made their lunches and ate their breakfast then took up their position on the porch for a couple quick photos. Everybody was in good spirits and we arrived in the gym at 8:01, first day, we only had 50 yards or so to walk and we were still a minute late! Whoops!
Once we entered the building Barrett grabbed hold of my hand and he was NOT. LETTING. GO. Casey and I walked with the line back to his classroom. I snapped a quick pic and then tried to leave. He grabbed my arm and gave me the most pitiful don't leave me look. This kid knows how to work it. Talk about a stab to my heart! I sat him down, attempted to interest him in coloring, and then gave a quick kiss and hug to leave. First, I had to peel his fingers off my hand. Uggghhh...we left, went down the hall to Gabe's room and snapped a quick photo. On our way out the door I swung back around to peek in to Barrett's classroom. What I found darn near broke my heart. There he was, turned around in his chair, staring at his seat bag, obviously having none of this kindergarten business.
His best buddy Chase from preschool said hello to him and Barrett wouldn't even acknowledge he spoke to him! I hope some day we'll do this first day of school business without all the drama. I know tomorrow will be better. There's just something about change and brand new things that makes him want to take things slow.
More than ready to take on this year.
No bribes or begging involved!
Can't leave out Ellie!
Last year at home with momma!
Begging me with that face not to leave him.
Grinning in spite of the fact I was
the only 3rd grade mom to snap a
classroom photo.
Heart. Breaker.
Growing into a young man right before my eyes!
He's getting to be too tall to stand on steps above me.
"Hey, how was your day?"
"Good. Can we play our tablets?"
*insert eye roll*
But seriously, I will be excited to have them back home this afternoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment