Proverbs 16:9

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."
Galatians 5:25

"Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Just Like You

My Gabe. I love him. We had one of those surreal, incredibly precious type moments on the drive home from church today. All was right with the world and the future couldn't look any brighter.

****Side note: About the third paragraph in here, balance was restored to earth, as my precious memories were interrupted by Barrett's worst exploding poop episode to date. End side note.****

Casey and I were discussing vacations and our lack there of since Gabe entered the world. We have been on vacations since he was born, but with, and because of, the prompting of other family members. Things will have to change pretty drastically for us to go on one any time this next year. I'm thinking our next vacation will be a low budget camping trip. And, I would love for that! Gabe has been asking to go camping for more than a year now and we haven't been in years, although it is an activity both Casey and I really enjoy.

Anywho.....so we were talking vacations, just the two of us and from the backseat a little voice cuts in. You will notice quite a bit of run on sentences in Gabe's side of this conversation. It's just how the boy talks.

Gabe: Well, my wife and I are going on vacation.

Me: Really? Where will you go?

Gabe: To the duck pond. We'll go to the duck pond and feed the ducks. And, you guys can come with us. My wife and me, we'll come pick you up, and you can bring your bread, and we can take a vacation to the duck pond and feed the ducks.

Me: Okay, that sounds like fun.

Gabe: Yes, and when I get bigger, I'll have a wife and she and I will live in a house. We'll live in a house right across the street from you! She will mow the lawn and I will weedeat and when we're done we can load up our lawnmower and weedeater cause they'll fit in the back of my truck and we'll bring them to your house and we'll mow your lawn.

Casey: But, if you live across the street you can just walk them over, right?

Gabe: Oh, yeah, but when we get done mowing the lawn we can all get in my van. We, we can allo go. We, my.....my....what's my dear called again?

Casey: Wife?

Gabe: Yeah, my wife and me's van. And, we can go on vacation to the duck pond and feed bread to the ducks. And, we'll have a baby. Not this baby (points to Barrett), but a baby of our own. And, we'll have a carseat for the baby. Our baby, not this baby (points to Barrett again).


Ahhh....if only life were as simple as his thoughts are today. I love getting lost in his three year old hopes and dreams. There is no greater joy for me than to hear how he wants to be connected to his family, even when he's older. And, I hope he'll stay true to that.

In Sunday school we are beginning a series titled "Family Fights". It's not what you think though...it's about fighting FOR your family, instead of against your family. There's a large focus on how we behave as parents and the example we set for our children. They're always watching, learning, taking it in. We can't live perfect lives, we are humans after all, but we can model a life of service, love, and forgiveness for our children. Today's talk with Gabe was just a timely reminder that he wants to be just like us. It's all he knows, and we hope to bring him up in a way that honors our relationship with God. So, that when he grows up...he'll want that for his family too.

These photos are from this past week. He helped me make some play dough. He's wearing an apron I made for him. Mom embroidered his name on the pocket. He LOVES to help in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment