What a handsome man on his first day.
Earlier this week I embroidered patches for his book bag and lunch box. It took six hours and two broken needles on the machine before it was all done, but at least it was done before school began! Of course Ellie was part of that six hours, it really should have only taken an hour from design to done.
Blue box and bag because it's his favorite color.
Gabe woke up ready to go at 7. I already had breakfast on the table (toast, bacon, and blueberries) when he announced he wasn't eating at home. I assured him he wasn't eating at school and he reluctantly sat at the table for breakfast. Normally, he's a great breakfast eater. Today he was entirely too excited for school to concentrate on eating. After several prompts to get him to eat instead of talking about the day he finished about half and then it was time to get dressed. I picked out his clothes this morning, because I just love a well dressed little man on his first day. He said to me, "I have to wear CHURCH clothes today?" Yes, buddy you do. Tomorrow he can pick out whatever he would like to wear to school.
While the boys ate breakfast I nursed Ellie. I was hoping with a feeding she would be quiet and patient in the stroller while I took a gazillion photos. She was not. Turns out though, a screaming baby will do wonders to keep your emotions about your first baby going to kindergarten in check. I got the important photos taken, she screamed all the way to school, screamed through part of the announcements, and as soon as we hit the sidewalk on our property calmed down. Have I mentioned she's just a wee bit spoiled?
Ecstatic to be going back to school.
Barrett didn't really know what was coming,
but he was excited just the same.
Sitting with his class waiting for announcements.
That's Mrs. Lang, his teacher, standing in front of him.
Waiting quietly for Mr. Fernkopf, the principal, to begin.
Called him out and got one last photo before leaving.
Blew him a kiss, said I love you and I'll see you later.
Choked back some tears and went back home.
I let Barrett walk (as opposed to strapping him in a stroller) and it worked out really well. I had some concerns after the way I had to drag him kicking and screaming at the end of last school year. He questioned a couple times "Brother? Brother?" as we headed out, but didn't throw any fits. He's been playing quite contentedly all morning by himself. We had a little outside time, play dough playing, drawing in paint on the computer (the computer application, not actual paint) and then at ten he started asking for lunch.
Today is a big milestone, a marker to say my baby is growing up and there's nothing I can do to stop it or slow it down. It was a much bigger deal for me than for Gabe. He was ready and excited. After his time in preschool this is old news to him. He had no anxiety at about the day, so I had plenty for him. I dreamed nightmare scenarios the week leading up to his first day. I worried about whether he would be able to get his pudding cup opened at lunch, if he would wash up after lunch (he's the messiest eater I have ever met), if he would get along with his classmates, and if he would show his teacher respect by following the rules of the classroom. Mostly silly things to worry about. He'll be fine, I know.
Gabe, we are so proud of the big five year old you are. Today embarks a long journey of formal education for you. It is our hope that you would show your teachers and classmates respect, always do your best, and have fun learning. You are smart, funny, and tender hearted. We know you'll have a great time in school and Mommy can't wait for you to get home this afternoon!
No comments:
Post a Comment