We decided to make the drive their in two parts. We left Thursday afternoon after closing up the daycare early and made our first stop in St. Louis, arriving around 10 pm. The boys were very excited to be at a hotel with a pool, but I was worried we wouldn't make it before the pool closed. We did, with an hour to spare. We thoroughly enjoyed our brief stay in the hotel. I even let the boys jump on the bed before we left. It seemed like the thing to do. Great memory making.
Casey white knuckling through Kansas City traffic.
An empty K on the drive out.
Gabe singing away in the back seat to pass the time.
Daddy and the boys enjoying the hotel pool.
Ellie and I watching the boys poolside.
We got up early the next morning, enjoyed a delicious continental breakfast at the hotel and then headed east again for Kentucky. We stayed just west of St. Louis, so at breakfast we told Gabe he'd get to see the St. Louis arch as we drove by. He was so excited because his teacher had shown him in the classroom what we were talking about. As we neared downtown St. Louis on the Interstate we missed an exit and ended up in downtown St. Louis. Gabe thought it was a very happy accident because it took us closer to the arch. We decided to park and walk up to the arch to take a photo. At the time we parked it began to rain so we decided to just pose for a picture outside the parking garage instead. Next time through we'll go to the arch.
A nice family pic...you can see everyone's faces!
(which is now my baseline expectation...forget smiling)
Barrett's smiling.
I know it doesn't look like it.
They're so cute.
Bottom lip sucking.
Catching a nap whilst Daddy drove through a pretty horrendous rain storm.
During the worst of the rain storm we were about an hour from Will and Bev's when the gas light came on. I checked the map...12 miles to the next exit...visibility about 50 feet...I was not a happy camper. We make it to the exit as cars are crawling through the storm on the highway. Barrett and I went in to the gas station for a potty break while Casey pumped. When we came out the tornado sirens were going. Not a single person in the parking lot, and there were several, seemed to be concerned. I went back into the store to ask if they were watching the weather, both cashiers were completely oblivious to any severe weather threats. We decided to find a sturdy looking building to have lunch in until the storm blew over. We did, and the storm blew over without any issue.
Barrett didn't feel like showing his face.
And, then, FINALLY, after over 11 hours of driving we made it to the blue bridge.
Over the Ohio River blue bridge, gateway to Owensboro, Kentucky.
No comments:
Post a Comment