We began looking forward to Easter a couple of weeks before and did some extra special things with the kids. We took time at evening meals to talk about the events leading up to Jesus's death and resurrection. The week before Ellie went with me to do some shopping for KidsPoint and we got goodies to fill eggs.
Borrowed Grami's car, since the van was in the shop.
Barrett helped me fill around 500 eggs.
He was so good about not eating any of the treats.
On Good Friday the kids were out of school and we trekked down to the city lake on a very cold and windy morning to talk about Jesus's prayer in the garden before his arrest. We also talked about how it is our sin that separates us from God and our sin that put Jesus on the cross. We talked of the forgiveness in Christ's sacrifice and with the big boys especially we were able to have some quality discussion. I think Barrett and Ellie just wanted to know how soon we'd be eating lunch. The plan was to make stick and twine crosses, but I forgot string. I had just told the kids we'd have to make them at home when I looked up and saw a stray piece of baling twine on the ground. I went to the truck to find a knife to cut it down and found three more random pieces of ribbon in the glove box.
God provided just enough for us to make four little stick crosses!
On Saturday the real fun started! After watching April the Giraffe being born live on you tube, we spent breakfast talking about new life and how there is new life in Christ's resurrection. We jetted over to Brookside, our local nursing home, for a candy hunt. They skip the task of filling eggs and just sprinkle candy all over the big lawn---genius!
I'm in love with those polka dot overalls.
He said, "Now I want one sitting on it!"
When this child asks, you take the picture.
Ellie, very cautiously filling her bucket.
She was all sorts of shy about this hunt for some reason.
Wanna guess why the middle one is grumpy?
He was mad/sad because Gabe gathered more candy.
Told him, "Doesn't matter...it's all going in
a community bag at home anyway!"
And, would you look at that. He found his smile. Little turkey.
Ellie was intrigued by the bunny, but certainly
did not want to be this close.
Saturday night we kicked off the celebrating at church with two services, one at 3:15 and one at 5:00. I made a deal with the kids and told them they could wear whatever they wanted Saturday night and I would get to choose on Sunday. Worked perfectly!
More Easter fun and family posts tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment