Naming a child isn't easy. Least it isn't for us. So much responsibility, so many vetoes (perks of being a former teacher).
However, this time around I was pretty sure of a name I thought was adorable, but Casey was a FIRM no. At least one name of each of my children is chosen based on a person who's qualities I admire and would love to see in them. Our youth pastor takes a group of kids to Mission Arlington each summer. Mission Arlington is run by Miss Tillie. I think Tillie is a super cute name and I think Miss Tillie is a super awesome lady for what she's accomplishing at the mission. Of course, I would have named her Matilda, and called her Tillie for short. Casey said there is no way he would let me name one of our children something like Matilda. I tried, I tried really hard to convince him otherwise, but it was not to be.
The real search for a name began and I spent hours reading and re-reading baby name lists. Nothing was really clicking for me, but occasionally I would come across a name I sorta liked and would send it to Casey. He would veto and I would go back to reading the lists again.
And, then it happened. I found a name I reeeeeeally liked. I wasn't taking no for an answer, I didn't care what Casey said. I texted him and guess what. He actually liked it too! Woohoo! We finally agreed on a name!
Emery.
First name...check. Middle name...next challenge. Sort of by accident all three of my older kids' middle names began with an A. Now I had the dilemma of keeping with an A for Emery, or breaking from tradition. I didn't set out in life to give them all A middle names, but it happened, and I felt like changing it on Emery would leave her out. So, enter aaaaaaaaaall the A names. And I didn't like any of them. Except for one...Anne. Emery Anne, has such a sweet ring, and also if you whisper yell it, it's very crisp coming off the tongue so would work well when she's in trouble too.
Killjoy Casey said no. See, my third child's middle name is Anne and he said it wouldn't be fair for them to have to share a middle name. Fine, I see your point. Back to the lists. For weeks I tried out a short list of A names I thought I might like. None were really clicking for me, until I happened upon Adele. Emery Adele. It just sounded so pretty. Emery Adele it was.
For about four months.
In July I began having second thoughts about her middle name. But having found no alternative name I liked, Adele it stayed. About two weeks before her due date I was laying in bed thinking about her name and it came to me.
Emery Adeline. (long i vowel sound, like the "i" in line)
I rolled over...wait, no I didn't. Rolling over in bed at nine months pregnant is dang near impossible so I didn't do it unless absolutely necessary. I spoke over my shoulder to Casey on the other side of the bed, "What do you think about Adeline?" He said, yeah I like it. Secretly, I think he knew I wasn't going to leave it alone until he agreed because I had obviously made up my mind that Adele had to go.
Emery is a German name meaning brave, and Adeline is a french name meaning noble. Emery Adeline, I pray as you grow you will grow in your relationship with Jesus...choosing to be brave and focusing on things that are noble, things that are above, things that are of God. Know he is with you always, and if you let Him, He will lead you to do great things for His glory!
No comments:
Post a Comment