So, I've been scouring Craigslist for months. Since early fall. I wanted it to be a Christmas present...but it wasn't meant to be. What was I looking for you ask? A simple, wooden twin bed. I looked and looked and looked and nothing ever came across that caught my fancy and if it did it either 1) turned out to be cheap particle board or 2) was entirely too expensive for my budget. Seriously I couldn't find a single twin bed under $100. And, I'm just talking the frame, not even the mattress.
So, I kept looking and kept looking and what do you know one day of Craigslist surfing the Topeka ads (near where my mom and dad live) I finally found EXACTLY what I was looking for and in my price range. And, the very best part? There were TWO identical twin wooden beds ($50 for two REAL wood twin beds??? Yes please!)!!! Perfect for a shared bedroom of boys. Of course, the second little boy won't be in it for at least two years, but I've no doubt those two years will fly by. After a few emails and phone calls I had secured a pick up time for my dad and my parents kindly brought the beds with them when they came for the birthday party.
I let Gabe know there was one last surprise for him at home and the look of excitement on his face when we let him in his room was priceless. He was beyond impressed with the new big bed. I was concerned we might have a repeat of when he turned two and we put him in the toddler bed. Remember? He fell out of bed five times before we finally just put him in our bed so we could get some sleep. He was so worn out from the day's activities I don't think he even budged from where we laid him down to sleep. And, to date he still hasn't fallen out so I guess he's finally figured out how to stay in bed.
We kept his bedding super neutral to go with the crib bedding his baby brother will be using soon and to prevent needing to buy a new set as he grows or as his brother grows and gets a twin set of his own. Someday, maybe this summer....I plan to paint the bed. Not sure how yet...but I'm thinking a glazed red...Rock Chalk!
I know it doesn't look like much to you.....
....but he definitely thinks otherwise!
That's a homemade fleece Grami pillowcase he's laying on.
And, yes that red racecar shirt he has on was purchased especially for his racecar themed birthday. Too much? Probably. Maybe. Do I care? No. I probably won't always have the time and resources to go all theme-y for birthdays, so I figure why not do it while I can?
This wraps up Gabe's third birthday posts and in the next post I'll be sharing big changes. Don't hold your breath expecting it to appear tomorrow. It might, but if it doesn't, it'll be coming soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment