Some babies come into this world with a room prepared especially for them. The mommies and daddies (sometimes grandparents too!) spend hours and hours choosing a theme, painting a room, purchasing and setting up furniture, and then sitting in awesome wonder in the empty room that will soon be filled with a baby and all things baby related. Then, that baby arrives and as soon as he is sleeping through the night he graduates to his very own room and slumbers peacefully, by himself. Gabe got that. First timer luck.
Barrett on the other hand, has second timer luck. His bedroom was painted and decorated and furniture was purchased three years in advance of his arrival. He'll never have to sleep in a room alone. Big brother is there to comfort him if he so much as whimpers. His room is filled with a mix of awesome big boy toys and baby things. His mommy and daddy spent multiple days rearranging the furniture in his cozy (read tiny) space and his mommy even shed a few tears over it. Eventually, we found a good arrangement, and for now, it works. The room will instantly feel bigger when the changing table is removed a few months from now. The closet was the biggest challenge and I'm still debating on how to solve that ever growing problem. I may have to pack and unpack with the seasons.
The first night we put Barrett in his bed Gabe got out of his bed no less than five times to pat Barrett on the head. I have video of it on my phone, I should get it uploaded to here sometime. On a few occassions he has sung to him. So sweet. For the most part, this arrangement has worked out beautifully. Sometimes they'll wake one another at an inconvenient time for me. Mostly it's Barrett waking Gabe. Barrett has a very shrill scream. Like, it makes my ears bleed. Not really. But, it's pretty bad. So, by the time my sleeping brain registers this screaming (who knows how long Gabe's already been hearing it) and I get out of bed to go get Barret, Gabe has curled up in the fetal position on his bed with both hands clamped tight over his ears. He always falls right back to sleep.
They've been rooming together for over two months now, but these pictures are from the very first night.
Ready to calm his brother if needed.
And, Barrett does need it, whether he thinks so or not. Haha!
We use the space under the beds for storage. Works well.
I am so glad the room arrangment is working out. I hope they'll become best buddies, giggling late into the night about silly boy things, long after they've been put to bed. Yes, I realize that statement will also be a source of frustration, but as long as they're staying in their room, I don't think it'll be too much of a problem. They'll fall asleep eventually....
No comments:
Post a Comment