Moving on...
Barrett is seven months old (and 18 days...but hey who's counting?)! On Christmas Day he turned seven months. We had a fabulous Kansas Christmas on the day of and I took plenty of pictures (to be shared in our Christmas post some time next July....haha!). What I did not do, however, was take Barrett's monthly photo. Too cold. And for the next 17 days after it was too cold. And, then...the skies opened up, the sun shone down, and we had a crazy middle of winter heat wave...high of 67! I knew if I waited long enough we'd have a weird warm day. Oh, yes it was a "little" chilly, but I put him in that adorable white onesie and out we went anyway. I wore a tank top and was comfortable, so all you judgies out there just take it easy....he was perfectly fine.
Leading up to Barrett's seven months he crossed a major developmental milestone....crawling! At first it was a very slow inch worm. Now, he's still inch worming it a lot of the time, but it is a fast inch worm. He loves to crawl to the kitchen to play with the stepstool and the bumbo seat we keep in there. More than once he has gotten himself stuck under our footstool in the living room. He'll inchworm his way under it and then forget how to inchworm back out, so he'll just repeatedly lift his head, banging it on the decorative wood. And, by repeatedly, I mean a couple of times before I can get to him.
Everything within reach is fair game for taste testing. Including our gigantor living room area rug. He inches his way to the edge, lifts up the corner, and chews (not long though...that would be gross, and irresponsible of me to let such a thing go on for any extended amount of time *go back and read that with dripping sarcasm*). And, it's no wonder....this month he has discovered there's more to life than baby cereal and breastmilk. Food, real colored, food. Fruits and veggies of all kinds. Barrett has not had anything he didn't like. I remember very clearly Gabe's distaste for green beans (which is ironic, since it's now his favorite vegetable). Just last week I found a Baby Bullet (blender with special baby food accessories) at a consignment store in town. It was brand new, never used, for less than half the retail price. Score! I spent a nap time earlier this week making some homemade baby food. I did some quick math and based on the veggies and fruit I used (sweet potatoes, carrots, and apples) each meal serving (1 fruit and 1 veggie) basically cost .07 to make at home. If I had purchased it at the store I would have spent .88 for those same two servings. Now there's some savings I like! And, I really thought he liked it better than the store bought food. When Casey fed him and made the same comment (without knowing what I was thinking) I knew it was true. I totally smacked myself in the forehead for not making Gabe's. It's just too easy, cheap, and healthy. Then, I unsmacked myself, because it does take a little bit of time and energy which I didn't really feel I had with Gabe since I was teaching and coaching.
On a side note, I'm learning to feel less guilty as a mother for doing things in a new and improved way with Barrett that I didn't do for Gabe. Life is all about living and learning right?
Barrett's little personality comes out more every day. He is still very laid back, quiet, studious, but he's also learning he can just take what he wants if it's in reach...UNLESS mommy, daddy, or brother intercept...and this does not make him a happy camper. He's a persistent little guy that's for sure.
Well, that seems like a fair amount of rambling...so on to the photo.
Barrett 7 months
I'm hoping to resume a more frequent posting schedule. I've been itching to write....and I mean more than family posts and pictures...I mean some introspective things. So, be prepared for that. :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment