I really wish I would have made myself sit down and write things out each day through this moving process. It's hard to recall everything I wanted to record now that we're---wait I have to check a calendar----now that we're TEN days past our official moving date. But, I swear it still feels like yesterday.
It's also hard because we didn't just box up our house and move to a new home. We boxed up MOST of our house and moved to a temporary home (my gracious and generous parents' home). So the process of packing was drawn out and done nearly entirely by myself because I had to decide what went to storage, what stayed in the house for staging, and what went to the temporary house. The day we knew Casey was taking the job for sure I started packing. I packed every day for two and a half weeks. And purged and purged. And packed. And purged. And packed. It was a whirlwind two and a half weeks for sure.
This move did not happen on our own though. I am having trouble putting into words how grateful I am for all the help we had. Life threw us a sweet curveball and family and friends helped us hit it out of the park.
Gabe had a birthday party the weekend we moved most of the house items. It was not all that I wanted it to be, yet it was. All his friends and family were able to make it to celebrate and that's all that should really matter. It's the perfectionist mother in me that makes me think it should have been Pinterest-inspired off the hook decorated. It's hard for me to let that one go 1) because I like the idea of putting forth a lot of extra effort to make my guy's special day extra special 2) because I actually enjoy doing the Pinterest-y kinda crafty stuff and I'm bummed when there isn't time for it.
My family (Mom, Dad, Bryson, Jerad, Amy, and Daniel) came into town with an enclosed car trailer and my dad and Casey packed away in the trailer while my mom and I worked on the rest of the house, packing and cleaning. And while we were working on packing and cleaning Casey's dad worked tirelessly on projects that needed completing around the house...painting, fixing up, and what not. Casey's mom was put on Barrett duty so I could concentrate on packing. Saturday night after Gabe's party, Amy and Jerad drove the trailer back to my parents' place.
And, let me just also say I almost didn't write about who did what because I will invariably leave someone or something out because it's been a while since the events of that weekend and my brain is on moving across state lines, changing jobs, insurance, selling a house overload. I apologize up front if you thought you should have a mention here and didn't get it.
Tons of friends offered help in any way we needed. Our church family put together a wonderful chicken dinner for us on Sunday after church. I really wanted to say a few words to the group, but was pretty sure it would just come out as "blubber, blubber, sniffle, thanks, blubber, will miss you, blubber, sniffle". So, I made Casey be our spokesperson.
Nana (and Isaiah to play with Gabe), Nikki, and Andy came over Sunday after church and painted. Sometimes you have friends in life that say they'll be there...and then there's the friends in life that just are there. They offered to come and help and I am so grateful. I've no doubt they had better things to be doing with their Sunday afternoon, but they were there helping anyway.
Monday night sweet Kathy Lindquist brought supper over for us. We were working like crazy trying to finish up projects around the house and packing what we'd be using at mom and dad's. AAAANNNDDD...make it to Kansas before the big snow storm. We did make it, and oh was there a lot of snow. We sent Gabe to the Robbins family home to play and sent Barrett to the Shigley family home to play and Casey, his dad, and I continued work on the house. Tuesday night Eddy and Esther Shigley took us to supper while the boys stayed at their house and then we left the boys there and went home and worked for another couple hours until the boys' bedtime. Having a place to drop the boys off without any worry was invaluable. They were both spoiled with a ton of kids to play with at each place and there were plenty more friends that offered their homes too for the boys to go to while we worked.
On a snowy, very chilly, Wednesday morning we loaded up the van and truck with belongings and our little family and headed north to Kansas. It felt surreal. Leaving my home town of the last ten years. Leaving the home that welcomed my two boys into this world. Fortunately we still have family and friend ties there that will bring us back to visit, so it's not like we left it forever, but that's kinda what it felt like emotionally. I only shed a few tears along the drive. I drove the van, which also had the boys so I couldn't really give into my emotions without putting my family in danger.
Gabe seems to be adjusting well. He still mentions things and people in Oklahoma every day. His whole life he has asked to do things in Kansas and I have had to tell him no, because it's too far. Now he's learning that works the other direction too. Lately he's been stuck on visiting the Oklahoma City Zoo (which we've never even been to...we just talked about doing it on New Year's Day). In the midst of training him in the normal things of life we're also now working on boundaries at Grami and Papa's. They have been gracious to offer us a place while we're in transition, and we're all working hard at being good house guests. And, for Gabe, this includes not messing with things that aren't his. Definitely a work in progress.
Poor Barrett has been sick for a couple weeks now. Got him into a pediatrician in Topeka Wednesday and he was diagnosed with rhinitis. Basically a kid version sinus infection. So, now he's on antibiotics and the drainage is getting better already after just two days of meds. He is sleeping well here and eating a lot more table food...so he's happy and I'm happy about that.
Casey has had his first full week of work. He is loving it so far. The place he works has a very hospitable environment for its employees (i.e.....lots of good food and friendly people) and he is enjoying the work he is doing so win, win. The only stinky part right now is the one and a half hour commute. THREE hours in the car getting to and from work every day. Praying hard our house sells quickly and we can get closer to his work.
Here are some photos I snapped with my phone over the past few weeks of things to do with the process of moving.
Casey fixing the grout surrounding the bathtub.
Gabe packed his own box and labeled his own box.
Everything inside the box was actually mine.
Last Saturday morning cinnamon rolls in our Southview Ave home.
Packed up most of the kitchen two weeks in advance of the move.
Installed a new garage door after five years of living there.
And five years of actually needing a new one.
Took the boys to Walmart on Valentine's Day.
They both napped in the cart while I shopped.
THAT NEVER HAPPENS.
Locked out while Daddy works on door removal.
Not the least bit happy about it.
Dad backing the trailer in for packing.
Isaiah and Gabe.
LOVE this photo. It was unusually warm for February so we were
painting doors on the deck and these two buddies were just chilling,
eating their snack. Gabe was singing a Sunday school song. It's
a priceless moment I won't soon forget.
Gabe begged and begged to do painting.
I finally gave in and let him do the first roller coat on this door.
Snowing and a shot of our home the day we moved.
First stop in Kansas...Casey's donuts and french vanilla cappuccino.
Getting the trip started right.
Snow storm the day we arrived.
That is not drifted. It was seriously deep snow.
And that would be my goofy husband without a jacket.
He was digging in the trailer for our winter tub.
The one with our snow bibs, gloves, heavy socks, and whatnot.
I have so much more to write about the move, but I'm going to leave it there for now. Maybe in the next post I can get some pictures of Gabe's birthday party up and talk about some sappy things regarding the fact that I have a FOUR year old now!















No comments:
Post a Comment