Proverbs 16:9

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."
Galatians 5:25

"Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Treasure Hunting

My parents live on a small lake. Due to drought conditions the water line is much lower than usual.

My parents also have satellite television, which means means easy access to the cartoon Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

These two facts have collided to bring out Gabe's inner treasure hunting pirate. His latest phrase on repeat is "Shiver me timbers!". I don't even know what that means. I do know he got it from Jake and the Never Land Pirates.

We started out exploring a few days ago and it quickly turned into a treasure hunt. And, now every day's request is, "Can we go treasure hunting?" The first treasure hunting trip we took I think Gabe had more fun walking worry free in mud than he did hunting for treasure.

We are quickly working on countrifying him. At one point he got stuck in the mud and I wasn't about to go after him. Mud's not really my thing. Anyway, he was really starting to freak out about being stuck, so I told him I'd go get a rope to rescue him with, then turned and walked away. I got about thirty feet before he started screaming. I ran back thinking he'd gotten himself unstuck and rolled into the freezing water.

When I get to him to ask what in the world is wrong (because he hasn't moved an inch) he says, "Where's the rope?" Well, let me let you in on a little secret. I was never going to get a rope. I was hoping he would get himself unstuck before I walked too far away. I finally talked him into wriggling around enough to get his boot unstuck. He had to get really muddy to accomplish the feat. We're both learning to be okay with that. ;-)

Bryson even got in on the treasure hunting action when he spent a sick day with us this past Monday. And, the boys were lucky enough to actually find some treasures!

It was a GORGEOUS day on our first treasure hunt.



First treasure!
A tiny bottle of blue mystery liquid.

Getting adventurous.


Showing off his muddy boots.


Throwing mud to the dogs.

The long walk to the house.

Bryson and Gabe treasure hunting together.

Bryson found this pricey lure.


And, the little guy up there is captain of his own pirate ship. My parents bought this Little Tykes boat for my youngest brother, Charlie, when he was just a wee tot. It has seen many years of action. Barrett has loved sitting and driving it. It always amazes me how boys just know what to do with wheels and levers. Barrett is no exception. He handles the boat like he's always been driving one. Oh, and that would be Jake and the Neverland Pirates playing in the background.

We've been here for one month now. The house has been on the market one week. No offers yet. Still praying fervently. Trusting in God's timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment