Proverbs 16:9

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."
Galatians 5:25

"Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."

Saturday, March 16, 2013

St. Patrick's Day Parade 2013

A few days ago my sister talked Charlie into putting together something for his business in the Topeka St. Patrick's Day Parade. Yesterday we enjoyed 80 degree weather. In true Midwest fashion, today when we stepped out of the van to get in line for the parade....a whopping 38 degrees, with wind chill much below. BBBRRRRR!!!

The parade was to start at noon. I don't know if it started on time or not, but it took us an hour and fifteen minutes to actually be on the parade route from the staging area. There were so many entrants in the parade we couldn't see where they began and where they ended from where we were. And, the "floats" (I use that term loosely, because truly there were few actual floats...most were regular vehicles and walkers...like us) were five wide across Kansas Avenue in the staging area which was at least three blocks long.

Bryson and Gabe both took their bikes. Poor Gabe didn't even make it out of the staging area before he almost tipped his bike and decided he wouldn't be riding it anymore. I knew he wouldn't make it far because he's not quite skilled on the bike yet, but I thought he'd make it for part of the parade. He decided to help throw candy instead and he had a blast. When the candy was all gone from his bucket (didn't take long because he was giving huge handfuls to anybody who asked) he "pushed" the truck for the rest of the parade. We walked from 2nd St. to 11th, turned the corner and walked back to 6th St.. I was so impressed that both boys made it all that way, Bryson on his bike, Gabe running behind the truck. Literally running much of the time. I often had to jog to keep up with the truck. Barrett slept in the stroller for quite some time and then woke up somewhere near 6th St. and by 11th St. had lost one mitten, gone forever (and it was the cute mitten set that both of my babies have worn through Winter as babies...I grieved the missing glove a little). Zola, Charlie's boxer, was the star of our little "float". Over and over I heard, "Awww...look at that cute puppy." And, I'll admit she was pretty cute in her little getup.

Picture time. Enjoy.


Mom made the super cute bib especially for him.





He only looks super uncomfortable.
He did stay very warm.



Somethin' about that jacket.
Sexy.





Nothin' to see here....move along.

Quack.


Don't even think about putting a hat on my head.

No, I'm serious.

I hate you.



Our fearless driver.


Poor baby was knocked out.

I still hate you.
But you're so cute, Zola!



"Pushing" the truck down the road.


No comments:

Post a Comment