Proverbs 16:9

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."
Galatians 5:25

"Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Osage County Fair Pedal Pull

A visit to the Osage County Overbrook Fair always takes me back to my growing up years here. I've been attending since I was in the womb and happy memories surface every time. The family, the friends, the friends of family, just a sense of community in the best way. As I aged through the years the fair wasn't without it's share of small town drama, but those memories are much less vivid.

Some of my earliest memories are of racing Power Wheels trikes (the non-motorized kind) on the track outside the demolition derby arena. For the longest time I had the first place trophy in my room...not sure where it might be now. Sometime around fourth grade we started competing in the pedal pull event. I and each of my siblings usually won a state qualifying place. It wasn't exactly a well attended event, lest you think we were actually super strong pedal pullers.

Farm Bureau still hosts this event at the fair and this year we decided Gabe would participate. It went pretty much exactly as I thought it would. Leading up to the event Gabe was super excited, talking about it non-stop. Then, we get there and he turns shy and all but completely freaks out getting on the tractor. He pulled approximately three inches before jumping off the tractor and running away from the crazy (but not very big) crowd crying. My guy does not like to have a lot of attention on him at all. But...drum roll here...he took third place and managed to grab up the lowest qualifying state spot! Never mind that there were only three kids in his age bracket. He got out there, faced his fears, even if only briefly, and he pulled that trailer!

There's the demolition field behind them.



Pre-pull...can you tell?




Papa giving pulling tips.

"Who wears short shorts?"
LOL.


There he goes!

And the split second after this photo was snapped
he was running off to find me as fast as he could.


Bryson gave a great go at it.


Bryson's "No, I don't want to pose for you." pose.

Gotcha!

Bryson took 1st place in his age bracket, and yes there was more than one contestant!

The boys each received medals and certificates to move on to compete at the state level, but we didn't make it to the State Fair this year. Maybe next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment