Proverbs 16:9

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."
Galatians 5:25

"Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."

Friday, January 31, 2014

Baby Girl or Boy?

At 18 weeks we were able to have an ultrasound and get a peek at our beautiful baby #3. Casey, the boys, and I all attended the appointment on a Friday. We requested for the tech to spell the sex if she thought she had a clear picture of it so that Gabe wouldn't know. We wanted to be able to tell our families in person and we knew if Gabe knew then there'd be no keeping that a secret. We were in Bartlesville the next day and were able to tell Casey's mom. Then, the following Monday evening we hosted supper at Mom and Dad's to share the news with my family.

Drum roll please....

Baby #3 is a GIRL!!

Some first reactions...

During the ultrasound Gabe asked the technician for popcorn to watch the "movie". He told the tech he already knew it was a girl.

Barrett was climbing on equipment and smacking the tech, being a typical toddler...completely oblivious to what was going on.

The tech spelled GIRL!!! on the screen and Casey's first words were, "I'm so screwed."

Baby Girl, I promise your daddy is so excited for you to be here. He's just having some trouble dealing with the thought of raising a little girl...the disciplining...the hair...the clothes...the sass...the BOYS someday... He's a pretty awesome daddy though so I know in time he'll get things figured out just fine.

My first reaction to the ultrasound was subdued, I had already felt instinctively something was different about this pregnancy. I can't quite explain it, because it's just a feeling...all my symptoms have been just as miserable as they were with the boys. So, when I saw GIRL!!! on the screen I wasn't surprised. Elated and brought to tears, but not surprised.

When we went back to another room for the check up with the OB she asked if we found out the sex, I told her in a silent whisper so Gabe wouldn't know and she just smiled and said, "I could tell. The look on your face right now says it all."

We told Uncle Will and Aunt Bev by text. Aunt Bev said she was so happy for me and really wanted a girl for me.

Grandma Pam was happy for us too. You will be her second granddaughter and her eighth grandchild.

After supper at Grami and Papa's we told everyone to look under the table to find out whether it was a boy or girl. Each seat had a Hershey's bar taped under the table and I had colored in the letters SHE. Uncle Jerad got it first. I think everyone expected that it would be a girl, so there were no reactions of surprise. The fun part was the "Name Suggestion Jar" that members of the family filled with ideas before the gender reveal.

Some of my ridiculous favorites from the "Name Suggestion Jar":

Girls: Alisha---This is what Gabe has named the baby. He gets quite upset if you try to tell him we are not naming the baby Alisha.

Zelda, Latiisha (That's right...two i's), La-a (that's pronounced Lah-Dash-uh)

Boys: Jesus, Elvis, Billy Oh Billy Boy, Buddy The Elf, Gunner

Some of my normal name favorites from the "Name Suggestion Jar":

Girls: Dorothy, Ellie, Emma, Ann (as a middle name), Charley

Boys: Henry and Max

As far as naming goes, we've tossed around a few favorites of our own and tried them out for a few days. Honestly, we've been so preoccupied with house stuff (more on that in another post) that we haven't spent much conversation time talking over names.

I have drooled over some girl clothing departments. Everything is so darn cute! I haven't made any girly purchases yet, but I plan to pick out the coming home outfit first. And, I sort of started a Carter's animal theme with the boys and would like to continue that tradition. Gabe's was a giraffe "mommy and me" and Barrett's was an elephant "mommy and me". I'll probably also hit the yard sales hard this spring. Plus, I have a couple friends in Bartlesville that have given me some hand me down clothes, which in infants is like new!

And, I'll finally have a good reason to create something with all those girly fabrics I've been drawn to and collecting for the last few years. The blankets, the dresses, the burp rags...I better get to work! :)

Here's a look at Baby Girl from our most recent ultrasound.

Profile pic. She has her hand resting on her forehead.


We shot a video of sharing the news with my family too. Filmed with my new fancy Nikon.


Afterwards we facetimed Uncle Daniel who was working out of town in Iowa to let him in on the news.

"Uncle Nan-ul!"

Barrett loves him some Uncle Daniel time.

Yesterday Baby Girl was very active. It is so reassuring to feel her moving around. Gabe happened to be sitting on my lap when she woke up to play for the evening and I told him, "Your sister is kicking you!" Of course it can't be felt on the outside yet, so he had to just take my word for it. It made him giggle. He is excited to be having a sister. I have been working on Barrett, pointing at my belly and saying there's a baby in there. He'll point and repeat but I'm sure he doesn't really get it.

Baby Girl, you have a big group of family and friends who can't wait to meet you!

No comments:

Post a Comment