On Saturday afternoon the boys were begging to "go on an adventure"! So, we took off on foot to the edge of the campground and followed the timberline around down to the water. We found a little trail along the way and walked into the woods to find a small plot obviously set up for hunting as there were a couple of deer stands around this plowed area about half the size of a football field right in the middle of the timber. The boys thought that was pretty neat.
"Mom will you show me how to make this
rock hop on the water?"
"Mom, will you show me too?"
There's Noah getting his try in.
Gabe, Noah, Barrett, and Isaiah.
Barrett, Noah, Isaiah, and Gabe all "skipping" rocks.
Saturday night/Sunday morning we were sleeping snug in our pop up when all of a sudden we weren't. I heard or felt the first snap and woke up just in time for it to fall to the ground. Our bed was laying on the ground and I was wondering what the heck just happened. The brace on our bed had broken and snapped the plate that holds the brace clean off the plywood, leaving us laying at quite a precarious angle.
I climbed out of bed and found my phone first to see what time it was...3:30 am. I was not happy. Then it started to sprinkle. Nikki and Andy were woken up by our bed breaking and so we began putting chairs and strollers away. I walked to the bathhouse and when I got back Casey had pulled out the bench bed for me in the pop up and he laid down seats to "sleep" in the back of the van. I don't believe any sleep actually happened. My bed was comfortable enough, but I couldn't stop thinking about our bed which was now laying on the ground leaving the canvas of the pop up just blowing in the wind and rain. Yes, rain...and not a little bit of rain either. Fortunately the rest of the camper was dry and the only child that woke up of the four we had, was Barrett, when the bed broke and he went right back to sleep. Isaiah was snuggled in with the boys too.
Around 6:45 Barrett woke up, and then he proceeded to wake everyone else up. I decided to just get up and start the coffee pot since I hadn't really slept since 3:30. Casey joined us in the camper and attempted to sleep. But, the kids were all up so it was kind of pointless.
Ellie, was up but still sleepy.
There's daddy on the bench pullout.
Behind the curtains at his feet you can see
daylight where the bed has fallen and the tarp is hanging.
Doesn't she just look so ornery?!
The boys were hungry, so I fixed them each a pb&j sandwich.
By then a little light had shown up in the sky, but it was still pouring. The tent campers started breaking down camp and throwing all their wet things in vehicles. We kept the Rigsby boys and Nathalie in our pop up while everyone else picked up camp and I watched the puddle around our bed on the ground just grow and grow.
About the time they finished packing up the rain stopped and I had a good look outside the camper. It was a big muddy pit. We carried the kids to the van one by one to drive up to the shelterhouse for our traditional end of weekend group photo. Renana suggested next year we start doing this group photo on Friday night. I think I agree! It is so fun watching this photo grow each year.
Here we are two years ago.
2013
And, last year.
2014
2015
The Rigsbys and Taskers went home to dry their things out and we left our camp set up to dry out and went into Bartlesville to spend some time with Casey's family. We got to see his grandma Sue's new house and had lunch with his parents. We squeezed in a stop at some friends' house to grab a mantel for our newly painted dining room and then headed back to Copan to pack up camp. Fortunately it was a warm and breezy day and everything was indeed completely dried out for packing up. The little ones napped while we packed up and Gabe rode his bike around.
Finally packed and ready to go.
My goal was to be home by 8 and we rolled in about 7:30. The kids slept most of the way, we fed them cereal and put them to bed when we got home.
Another awesome weekend of camping with friends in the books. :)


No comments:
Post a Comment