After I got the ten or so pairs of "big boy" undies washed I switched out Gabe's diaper for Diego. He was a little hesitant. Well, more like a lot hesitant. He says to me, "I can't like that." I corrected him, "You say I don't like that." And, he insists, "No, I can't like that." Maybe he meant what he said after all. I'm still not sure he's entirely ready for the potty training process.
Once we finally got him in the undies he says to me, "Get the camera. Picture. Get camera." I mighta-sort-kinda brainwashed him into thinking we need a picture of every milestone around here, big or small. So, I got the camera, snapped two pictures and then he promptly walked to a corner of the dining room and peed on the floor. He turns around and looks at me with these puppy eyes that are totally saying, "I know I wasn't supposed to do that, but it happened, and I'm hoping I don't get in trouble." He might have been in the "big boy" undies a full two minutes before relieving himself on the hardwood floor. I must also add that I'm thankful he chose the hardwood and not carpet.
In the span of the next three hours he went through four pairs of "big boy" undies and had two successes on the potty chair. So, I guess I could say two successes in such a short time span is progress.
This morning we rose early and spent a few minutes on the potty before getting dressed for the day. No dice. I dressed him in his "big boy" undies and clothes and we headed out to water the flowers and set out the trash. He played in the car in the garage (it's one of his favorite things to do) while I got the trash out.
I made him come out to the yard with me when I was ready to water. I brought out the garden hose and just as I was about to water the hanging pot, I hear, "Uh-oh." I turn around and there's my poor boy standing on the front porch, wet as all get out. Lucky for me the hose was already there and on, so I hosed down his legs and sandals and then we went inside and changed. We finished our chores outside without further incident.
After breakfast (fresh peaches and waffles), I encouraged him to sit on the potty again. No dice. He requested to watch Mickey Mouse, so I obliged and then after the 25 minute episode was over I encouraged him to sit on the potty again. He did. And, he requested to have Duck at the Door read to him. Maybe I forgot to mention, but when he sits on the potty, to ensure he sits long enough to have a chance to let his bladder do its thing, we read to him. Sometimes it's just one story, other times it's three or four. This time it was just one, and as I was reading page two he got this funny look on his face and I knew. He was peeing....on the potty chair! He announced to me, "It's done!" So, he stood up, we did a happy dance and then he was treated to a jelly bean. So, that's one accident, one success already for day two.
Maybe we can do this after all.
"I'm a big boy now!"
"You don't know it Mama....
....but I'm abouts tah pee on your floor."
Ahhhh...the joys of toddlerhood.
I'll keep you posted, but hopefully the potty training will go so smoothly from here on out that there won't even be a need to blog about all the excitement.
Back to things non-potty training related in the next post.
No comments:
Post a Comment