I perused the shelves looking for old favorites and I let Gabe pick out some of his own. One of the books Gabe picked entirely randomly was called "Old Thunder and Miss Raney". It looked cute and while we were there at the library that day it happened to be storming so I thought it would be fun to read during a rain storm. We read it that afternoon and it was super cute and Gabe's attention was definitely captured by the story. On the back cover was a recipe for the biscuits Miss Raney cooked up in the story.
There it is.
Miss Raney Cloud's Storm-Twisted and Wind-Sifted High Energy Sooner Biscuits
That's right. Sooner Biscuits. How perfect. The author happened to have grown up in Oklahoma so the story has Sooner roots. The recipe looked SUPER simple so I knew Gabe and I would have to give them a try.
And, today we did. So, in pictures here is how Gabe and I whipped up these Sooner Biscuits.
It's probably hard to see...
2 cups Old Thunder's wind-sifted flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup storm-churned butter
1 Tablespoon Dizzy Bea's honey
2/3 cup milk
Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt. Then cut in butter until the clumps of dough are about the size of sweet baby peas fresh from the garden. Scoop out a well in the middle of the mixture, drizzle in the honey, and pour in the milk. With a fork, mix milk and honey, then stir everything together.
Pick up the dough with your hands and knead it on some sprinkled-out flour. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin dusted with flour till the dough is about 3/4 inch thick. Cut with biscuit cutter in circles or any shape you like.
Bake at 450 degrees for eleven minutes or till the biscuits smell just right and look good enough to eat. Eat them while they're hot, with butter and a dollop of honey. You'll have about ten biscuits, plenty to share with friends.
The ingredient line up.
Pouring the flour into the sifter.
Sift, sift, sift.
Keep sifting....
Sift a little more...
Throw in the stick of butter.
Notice Bull in the background?
"Cut" the butter into the mixture.
That means take a fork and mash and stir for you beginner bakers.
I just recently (like maybe two years ago) learned this "cut" term.
Mine never got super clumpy.
I just "cut" until all the butter was well mixed in.
Pour in the milk and drizzle on the honey.
Then mix it together again.
Take it out and place it on a flour-sprinkled surface.
Knead, knead, knead.
Find a fun cookie cutter.
Cross your fingers and hope they'll taste good.
Get a good whif (ya know...smell 'em).
Then pop 'em in the oven at 450 degrees.
Ours baked for exactly 11 minutes.
And, yielded exactly ten biscuits.
And, were perfectly golden brown when we took them out.
I highly recommend this book for young children!
Choo! Choo!
Butter and honey on top fresh from the oven.
These biscuits were AMAZING! I have never had a biscuit that tasted as delicious as these. Honestly, I don't believe I'll ever buy store bought biscuits again. This recipe took less than 20 minutes to make from start to end. And, that's saying something considering I allowed the two year old to help.
Two more items checked off the imaginary summer activity list----story time at the library and baking with Gabe.
We also bundled up a few of the biscuits and walked them across the street to an elderly lady who lives by herself. We stayed and chatted for a bit. She showed me the quilts she's working on (she's one uber-talented quilter) and then about twenty minutes in it hit me that Gabe was only wearing underwear and he is not yet full potty trained. Meaning he'll go to the potty if taken, but he has not yet learned the art of asking when he needs to go. So, we politely high-tailed it out of there so as not to leave a Gabe puddle on her pretty hardwood floors.
How's that for a story cap?
How fun! Thanks for another good story with lots of good pictures. I laughed out loud when I saw Gabe's hand and then laughed louder when I read your caption.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love reading posts about combining food with children's books. We have never made homemade biscuits before! Fun :)
ReplyDeletecoming through from Little Hands Monday