Proverbs 16:9

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."
Galatians 5:25

"Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Not a Professional Photographer

What a busy month it's been. What an awesomely busy month it's been. Do you know why? Because I've been busy raising two boys and running my household in a much better fashion that I have for the previous ten months. During both of my pregnancies poor Casey basically had to completely take over the running of the kitchen...cooking, dishes, grocery shopping. I was very sick and tired and uncomfortable throughout so it was a very rare occassion that I would take on those activities.

But, now....now I have the will and energy to do all of those things! It takes me a little longer to accomplish them now that I'm meeting the needs for two little guys instead of one, but that's okay! I'm at home and I'm absolutely loving planning and executing meals, keeping a clean (well, mostly) house, and still having left over energy to do fun things like sew or craft....or blog. :-)

Raising two isn't without its own challenges and lessons though. Gabe is costantly up in Barrett's grill. One day, Barrett was laying peacefully on his activity mat on the floor as I walked by the living room to put a load of clothes in the wash (which is located in the garage approximately 17 feet from the living room). As I sat the basket down to put the clothes in I heard Barrett start crying. I looked up and Gabe had come into the dining room with this incredibly guilty face. I walked to the living room to find Barrett moved three feet from where I'd laid him on his activity mat. I scooped poor Barrett up and he stopped crying almost instantly. When Casey got home he had Gabe demonstrate how he moved Barrett. He just slid both hands under his back and slid him over. Gabe was punished and he knows without a doubt he is absolutely not to ever pick up Barrett. Lesson learned. Do not leave the three year old alone with baby even for fifteen seconds. I also believe God must give younger siblings an extra layer of protection just for these occassions.

And, don't worry about poor defenseless Barrett too much. He was swinging just a couple of days later and Gabe was all up in his grill again and the swing took a bat at Gabe and connected well. He had a good bruise on his cheek for a couple of days.

*****By the way....I started this post nearly three weeks ago and am just now picking it back up in this paragraph. So, a lot has happened since I wrote that story and I'll be putting up posts this week of some of the more significant events of the last month and a half.

Here are some pictures from a little photo session I did way back in June. It did not turn out at all. As I look back through them I'm laughing hysterically about how ridiculous they are. And, it helps that I have a class clown on my hands to keep the humor in things. I am not a professional photographer...and I have the photos to prove it. :-)

Not terrible, Barrett looks kinda awkward.

Again, not terrible, but not awesome either.

Idea of using their crib quilt turned out not so good.
Colors were way too busy.
But, hey look at Gabe's great smile!

This one's kinda cute too, but not print quality.

Oh, goodness.
What was I thinking.
I'll tell you what...Pinterest.
This one's gonna pop up on awkward family photos.
Don't know about awkward family photos?
Click here.

Poor Barrett is not a fan of being on his tummy.

Look at that wrinkly skin!

Oh, and the flag flying.
Again, Gabe is doing a superb job.
Barrett has this strange reflex in his middle finger.
It's almost ALWAYS up in photos.
Seriously, it's weird.

That's Gabe's mean face.
And, Barrett is in one of many defensive poses.
He has to have them. Have you met his brother?

Awww...there's some sweet kissin' love.

Oh, really?

Here I just let Gabe do whatever he wanted to.
He wanted to drive a bus.
And, he insisted his brother come along for the ride.

Apparently, his idea of posing and mine are different.

?

Almost okay.
Barrett's looking a little unhappy.

I actually think this one is pretty cute.
Again, I was giving Gabe free reign on posing.
This time he was flying his brother on a plane.

Zooooommmm...

Uh. No.
He didn't actually bite him.
....in case you were wondering.

Very typical Gabe action.
Barrett's asleep and Gabe's poking him in the head.
I catch him doing this ALL THE TIME.

That's a goober smile right there.

Barrett's like "ugh..enough already."
So, we ended it there and went in for lunch.

One hour of picture taking and nothing I'd be proud to hang on the wall. Well, a few for entertainment purposes maybe. ;-)

1 comment:

  1. I think they are better because of the insightful commentary (which a professional would be ignorant of).

    My mom said she always feared leaving Adam alone in the same room with me because (as a 5 year old), I had commented that "he is so cute, I just want to smack him." Needless to say, I totally identified with Gabe wanting to take a bite out of baby brother. ;-)

    ReplyDelete