Proverbs 16:9

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."
Galatians 5:25

"Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas 2: Our House

This year Casey and I made some changes to our own Christmas traditions. In years past, we just hauled all our stuff to mom and dad's to open on Christmas day. This year because I knew we'd already be lugging an extremely large amount of extra stuff for our ski trip with the Shively family we made the decision to open up gifts at home before we left.

Gabe went for the "big" present first and so after he ripped up a little of the paper, I took it and set it to the side and had him open all the clothes and books first. I knew he'd go crazy over the "big" present and would have abosutely no interest in opening the others. So, he flew through all the gifts and with each one would say this very fake sounding "wow" and then toss it to the side to devour the next box. In between gifts he kept asking for the "big one". Finally, he got through all of the "boring" gifts and he was very excited to finally open the "big" present and he played with it for the rest of the evening until we made him put it away to go to bed.

Casey, our breakfast master, got a new set of skillets and he gifted me with a giftcard to Hobby Lobby, which will come in mighty handy since my recent purchase of a sewing machine (It was a black Friday, after Thanksgiving sale, and I absolutely am so glad I purchased it!). I'll be sharing more in a later post about what fun I've had creating with that.

Here are the photos from "Our Christmas".













This nativity set was made by my Great Aunt Ruby,
and given to me by my maternal grandmother.

It sat on our table all this Christmas season and I loved it. Gabe did too. The set was supposed to be completely hands off for him. Every once in a while though I would hear the clink of fragile sounding porcelain figurines and I would run to the dining room hoping and praying he didn't damage any of the set. The camels were his favorite figures to play with. And, amazingly none of the figurines were damaged in the slightest. He often pointed to Baby Jesus and asked to play with him. Next year I plan to have a Little People nativity set for him to play with. It's rubber and completely kid friendly. :-)

Two Christmas posts down....one to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment