Knowing we needed to get the requirement part out of the way before the rains came inbn c , I asked the guy at the ticket window if the zoo kept any endangered species and he turns around, asks another girl, and then says to me "I don't think we do. I don't really know what an endangered species is." ARE YOU SERIOUS??? This guy was at least high school age and possibly even college age. How do you get that far in life without knowing what the term endangered species means and secondly, how do you get a job at a ZOO without knowing that???
Mom told us the zoo had a mama hippo that had recently given birth so we headed for that building first. As we were walking in there was a real zookeeper and I asked him if he knew of any endangered species in the zoo and he listed off five right away. Finally! Someone who knows what they're doing! Then, he proceeded to take us to the hippos where we got the inside scoop on hippos and baby hippos in particular. He was a great zookeeper.
It only rained on us once and it was pretty short lived. When it started to rain we entered the cave to view the lions and had about two minutes of fun with the pacing lion before everyone else who was at the zoo that morning decided to take shelter in the lion cave also. There were several children that were beyond rude and their parents didn't do a darn thing about it. At the point I began addressing the children myself because they were shoving Gabe out of the way to see the lion I knew it was time to get outta there.
We left the cave, the rain ended and we enjoyed a pleasant little trip around the rest of the zoo. Gabe saw so many animals he's never seen before and it seemed that each animal exhibit had at least one animal willing to put on a show for us. Casey wrote his report on orangutans and fishing cats and received a perfect score. Zoo lab = Success!
And, of course I had my camera. I'll spread the pictures out over a couple of posts because there are so many.
A very happy Smith family.
Mama and Baby Giraffe in the way back.
He ran everywhere he was so excited!
The great zookeeper and baby hippo.
Sssssssss-nake!
Great faces, guys. Thanks.
Whoa!
"Why-an!" (lion)
"WHY-AAAAANNNN!"
No, Gabe will not be your morning snack Miss Lion.
Grami and Gabe have a look at the orangutans.
Poison Dart Frog.
I definitely see a resemblance.
Gabe was not the least bit interested in kissing the gorilla.
More photos tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment