Here are the quick stats.
Barrett Andrew Smith
Born: May 25th at 12:57 pm
Weight: 8 lb. 1 oz.
Length: 20 in.
I'll be spreading his birth story over a few posts. There are so many photos and moments I want recorded for all time. And, I'll be doing that here. So, get ready folks. You're in for a lot of baby talk this week.
Here's how Barrett's Day of Birth began...
Casey and I rose at 5 am on Friday morning to head to the hospital for a scheduled induction. Gabe, my parents, and brother Daniel stayed behind slumbering. Just before we left I had Casey snap one last belly pic.
Not bad for 5:30 am.
We arrived at the hospital just before 6 and we got set up in a labor and delivery room. After answering a bazillion questions and getting the iv for the petocin put in there was a quick check and I was still dilated to a four, exactly the same as Monday in the doctor's office. So, they began the petocin (the medicine that makes you have contractions).
And, I was very happy.
Casey and I watched a little of Good Morning America and then turned on the Pandora Needtobreathe radio station. I was incredibly relaxed. Casey was very anxious. Dr. Collins checked in with me at 9:30 and broke my water. Family had also visited by this time and they got kicked out so Dr. Collins could check me and break my water. Let me just say I much prefer to have my water break on its own...not really a pleasant process. The nurse suggested I go ahead and request the epidural at that point because it takes about an hour to have it administered. I was just barely feeling the contractions and dilated to a six.
The peanut gallery enjoying breakfast.
Gabe playing doctor.
The anesthesiologist came and put in the line for the epidural. I found out he was the dad of a student that took one of my classes this semester. He did a superb job and the epidural did exactly what it needed to throughout the rest of the day.
At 11, the nurse checked me again and said I was dilated to an 8. The contractions progressed and we watched the monitor go from tiny peaks to big ones. All the while, I was relaxed and calm and truly enjoying the process. Casey became more and more nervous and excited...excited-nervous... I could feel the contractions, but they weren't painful. I could feel Barrett moving further out with each one.
At 12ish I told the nurse it felt like Barrett was sure moving down a lot. She was going to wait for Dr. Collins to come in and check me, but decided to have a look herself since I was feeling so much pressure. She lifted the sheet and then put it right back down. She didn't say anything right away, so I asked, "Did you check me already?" I honestly thought she hadn't. She kind of laughed and said, "Well, yeah. I think I'll go ahead and call the doctor now. If you get the urge to push, don't." She was very obviously in a nervous rush to get the doctor in the room. Mom asked if the baby had any hair. The nurse's reply, "I'm sure if I looked again I could tell you." Barrett was on his way!
LOL!
Really, that's exactly what I did. And, I was quickly reprimanded by the nurse, "Oh, no, no, no...don't laugh." She really didn't want to deliver the baby herself. Can't say I blame her. So, I tried to curb my laughing and she got on the phone to get the doctor in.
The doctor arrived shortly after and they set up all the necessary equipment and then it was go time. Three contractions of pushing later and he was here!
World, meet Barrett Andrew Smith.
Happy faces all around!
Clipping the cord.
Barrett, meet your mommy.
Getting cleaned up. Not liking it a bit.
Very proud daddy and mommy.
SO in LOVE.
The entire labor and delivery was one incredible experience. I don't think I can find the words to describe how awesome it was. All that suffering, worrying, and waiting leading up to the day of the induction disappeared that morning. I was calm. Relaxed even. Casey took on the role of anxious waiting for me that day.
One other moment I want to record. I know you know how much of a stud I know my husband is, but on this day he did something that will remain in my heart as one of the most tender moments I've ever experienced. After Barrett had been cleaned up and everyone had left the room it was just the three of us. Casey leaned down over me and Barrett and prayed. He thanked God for the gift of our son and he prayed that we would raise our son to love God and to love others. Casey prays with me, but in that particular moment it was unexpected and absolutely made me fall in love with him all over again. He is an awesome husband and dad.
No comments:
Post a Comment