The crazy thing is it felt like Winter walking him to school on that last day. Gabe, Barrett, and I were all bundled up in our Winter coats for the short walk/ride. As I was getting ready to have him stand on the porch for a last day picture his teacher parked her car in the parking lot (which borders the northern line of our property) and she volunteered to walk with him to school so I wouldn't "have" to. I reluctantly let him go as he thought it was totally cool to have his teacher walk him to school. Then Barrett and I went back inside and I had myself a good little cry about the end of my first baby's first year of school.
I snapped a quick photo in front of the house for comparison purposes, first day to last day.
These pictures don't show much growth, but he certainly has grown...physically and intellectually over this first school year of his. That adorable outfit he's wearing in the first day photo wouldn't even come close to buttoning now. The shirt he outgrew mid-Winter, it was way too short. And, his feet haven't been able to be squeezed into those tennis shoes for a good four months.
He's up to 35 sight words and he can sound out or spell many three letter words. He can count consistently to 30 and sometimes lucks his way up to 40. He knows all of his shapes, including diamond, which is also called a rhombus (I think...math wasn't my strong suit). I feel like he is well prepared for kindergarten academically and socially.
At the end of his school day Barrett and I walked over a little early because that morning Gabe had requested me to take a picture of him with his teachers on his last day. He NEVER requests to have his picture taken, so I was happy to oblige.
Miss Cindy (classroom para) in the red and blue
and Miss Theresa (classroom teacher) in the peach shirt.
Gabe LOVED these two ladies all year long.
And, Miss Lindsey (also a classroom para)
...she came in about halfway through the year.
Gabe talked about her on a daily basis too.
All the kiddos lining up to head out on their last day.
Plus little Barrett up there next to big brother.
Gabe had an awesome first year of school and I am so grateful he was able to be a peer model in this federally funded preschool program. It seems like money in education (particularly in Kansas) just keeps getting smaller and smaller and the peer models are unfortunately being discontinued beginning next year. The three hours a day and small class size was a perfect introduction to the school atmosphere for our very cautious Gabe. He has exhibited no fears about moving on to all day kindergarten and asks often who his new teacher will be.
Gabe, I'm glad you're ready...because honestly, your momma is not! I have so enjoyed my time at home with you these last two years. Our lunches together and afternoons together while Barrett naps are precious to me and I will miss them when you're gone to school all day. I know I'll adjust and you'll be just fine too...but it still makes Mommy a little teary-eyed just thinking about it. I love what a big boy you're growing into and while I might get a little sad about leaving stages behind, I'm more glad to see you growing!
Lately you've taken to going out of your way to hold open doors for me saying, "Ladies first!". And, you open the van door for me and offer a hand to get me out of a chair or the bed because you know I've been struggling with that lately thanks to baby sister's growth. I've also noticed recently how good you are about helping out Barrett with all kinds of tasks. You two still have your share of quarreling, but nothing makes my heart swell like watching you stay behind to put Barrett's shoes on after jumping on the trampoline while your cousin and neighbor friend run on to the garage to get their bikes. I can read in your face you hate being left behind, but you stay and get Brother's shoes on anyway.
You are pretty awesome. Keep it up, buddy.
No comments:
Post a Comment