As I buckled Gabe in after picking him up from daycare I asked if he wanted to go to Daddy's store and he lit up. Then, when we pulled into the parking lot all he kept saying was Daddy, Daddy. I think he may know the place by sight now which is kind of weird for me to grasp. His brain is growing so fast!
We purchased a H-U-G-E cart of flowers (one of the blue ones...shhh...don't tell Casey). Just kidding, he was right there picking them out with me. I looked around for an experienced old granny that could help me figure out what the heck I should be putting in the bed and I didn't see one. Instead, a kind, but very busy, vendor gave me a few suggestions. Mostly though, I just read the cards in the cartons and decided for myself what might be best. And, as I went around selecting different flowers an experienced-looking old granny followed me around asking me questions like I was the master gardener.
Gabe and I came home with the truck while Casey stayed at work waiting on a regional vice president that never showed. I unloaded the twenty bags of compost and nearly fifty containers of flowers, grasses, and shrubbery by myself.
Since I don't have a clue what I'm doing I thought it a good strategy to spread them all out and organize them by type to determine a game plan for placement and planting in the bed.
With the plants all spread out on the ground like this I'm thinking maybe I overpurchased. Oh, well. I know a guy...I think I could return some if I needed to.
Gabe was a super little helper while I worked too. He began by playing king of the mountain on the pile of compost bags. Then he worked up to picking blades of my ornamental grasses. And, finally he ran to my newly purchased asiatic lilies in an attempt to gather up some petals to go with his collection of blades, at which point I had to step in and draw the line.
Gabriel, you will not pull the heads off of my gorgeous lilies!
He wasn't exactly happy about the line that was drawn, but after I pulled out the tape measure for him to play with he soon forgot about the silly lilies.
He sees a playground, I see work.
Can you see that dimple?
It's H-U-G-E.
And, I love it.
More tomorrow night about what we actually accomplished in the flowerbed this evening. It's 11:05 already, and I'm too pooped to write about the rest!
No comments:
Post a Comment