The 25th of April marked my sweet baby Barrett's eleventh month. It's official. I am beginning the mourning process of my baby Barrett's babyhood. In one short month he will turn a YEAR old. I live in a constant state of denial about his actual age. When people ask me how old he is and I do the math, I always have this sound of surprise in my voice, like whoa....is he really that old now?!
This past month he has spent his days drooling over the pain of new teeth and his nights fussing through the pain of new teeth. The teeth seem so strange on his infant face, makes him look instantly older.
His sleeping through the night is getting better. He wakes between 4 and 6 am to feed on a good day. On a bad day it's sometimes up at 1, 4, and 6. Hoping he can get through the worst of this teething and that will become a thing of the past though.
We bought him a sippy cup. He loves it. He drinks water from it at most every meal. He's still on breastmilk. I am amazed we've made it this far. I jokingly say his first birthday gift to me is that he'll be switching to whole cow's milk that day.
Barrett spent his first night away from mommy this past month also. It was glorious. Casey and I got a hotel room to celebrate our seventh anniversary. Best night of sleep I've had in well over a year. Just before we left for our date night, Barrett decided to get grumpy, fussy, sick-like. We left anyway. Good thing he's my second child. Grami took good care of him while he was feeling yucky so we could enjoy the evening (and sleeping in the next morning!).
No fear is a phrase I use to describe Barrett. His personality continues to shine through in a daring manner. On one hand, this scares me to death, on the other I'm excited to see how that no fear, agressive attitude is going to be harnessed for good as he grows up.
In this month's photo you can see a rubber bracelet on my wrist. What you probably can't see is the tiny name printed on it..."Les". A high school friend of mine lost her five year battle with cancer and my parents and I attended her funeral the day before these photos. At the funeral the family had these bracelets for anyone to have, as well as pink ribbons to wear.
It was a beautiful service, one I felt truly honored Leslie. I have only seen her a handful of times since graduation. Each time I saw her I was greeted with a smile, a hug, and a warmth about her that said she was glad to see an old friend. Leslie was kind, funny, and had a gorgeous, contagious smile. The tidbits shared at the service by Father Mick from her husband and the family described her in the very same way.
I followed her cancer story from afar, mostly via Facebook updates and sometimes through friends from back home. She was a courageous woman. Something Father Mick said at the service really stuck out to me. He said Leslie and her family lived every day as if it was an important day. Not that they lived in fear of death, but that they knew just how precious life was. When I wear the bracelet it is not a reminder that Leslie lost her fight with cancer, gone too soon. Instead, it is a reminder to treat every day as if it's important. And, also a reminder to greet those I know with love and gladness.

No comments:
Post a Comment