Proverbs 16:9

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."
Galatians 5:25

"Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Colorado Vacation Day Three

Well, here we are at Day Three and things are finally starting to look up! :)

After a better night’s sleep, we were up only a little later than the day before. As Gabe was waking in his bed he said, “I must be attracted to heat.” I said to him, “Oh, are you too warm up there?” And, he says, “No, I just can’t seem to get out of my warm bed.” LOL!

Mom fixed us a breakfast of biscuits and gravy. Ellie sat in her high chair and ate and ate…she definitely approved. 

Barrett and Gabe chilling in the hammocks.

Ellie's meal time spot.
A high chair hooked to the picnic table.


Bryson and Gabe enjoying the hammocks.

After clean up we rode up to the entrance to a little place near the river for Cowboy Church. The preacher arrived a few minutes past start time, apologizing, and feeling downtrodden. He’d had a rough go of it lately and shared with us that he was struggling with trusting in God’s faithfulness. He was a soft spoken man and preached a sermon on Jesus’s first miracle, turning water into wine. During the sermon a few horses rode through the “church” on their way to the trails and during the closing prayer Barrett told me had to go poop, so I didn’t even hear all of it. It was an interesting Sunday service for sure, but surrounded by the beauty of the mountains and hearing the Word of the Lord, I was grateful nonetheless.

After church we packed up lunch stuff and drove in to the town of Grand Lake. We parked our van on the shores of Shadow Mountain Lake, which is a teeny lake sandwiched between Grand Lake and Granby Lake...I don't really know why the lakes have different names since they're all connected. We took our lunch up to a picnic table where the boys were greeted by a deer. It was windy and we had trouble keeping our plates on the table. Following lunch, we walked down to unload the kayaks. A few minutes of debating later, Barrett was snuggled into Grami’s lap on her kayak and Gabe was in the child kayak with a ski rope tethered to Uncle Charlie’s kayak.


















Dad, Casey, Ellie, and I loaded into his truck and drove back to camp for plugs to mom’s kayak. On the way, we saw a female moose chowing on the side of the road. I snapped a couple photos outside of the truck just like they always tell you not to do, and she huffed at me. I don’t think she much cared for me being that close. Next we headed to the town of Granby where the Kroger grocery store, a shared branch credit union for us, and the forestry service office is located where dad planned to buy his annual park pass. Driving to Granby we happened upon a male moose, he had a big rack…well I assume it was a big rack…I don’t actually have anything to compare it too since I’ve never seen a moose that close up. I got some photos of him too of course, along with the crowd of about thirty other people watching from 10-20 yards away. Later in the week a park ranger told us she hasn't seen a moose all Summer and that we were very lucky to have seen them multiple times.

Just outside our campground.

Just outside Grand Lake.


By the time we returned to the docking location for the kayaks they had all already returned and gone back to camp. Back at camp Mom told us Barrett really enjoyed himself on the kayak. At first, he didn’t like when the boat wake would rock their kayak, but then when Mom would turn nose straight on to the wake and it was like a wee hill for him. He enjoyed it until it was over and then he was mad at her that there weren’t boats to rock their kayak. The “drips” from the oars apparently bothered him too. They first took their kayaks through a narrow canal, Amy ping ponging the walls the whole way with her kayak. When they reached the end of the canal it opened up to a big area of the lake with mountains all around and very little wind. Barrett timidly asked Grami, “Are there sharks?” The big boys assured him there weren’t because sharks only live in salt water.

We had hamburgers and hotdogs around the campfire, courtesy of Charlie’s grilling and then retreated to the bathhouse for showers for all three kids because camping is a dirty vacation. The good kind of dirty though. The kids are loving just about every minute here. Well, except for maybe that period before they’ve eaten lunch when it’s also probably nap time and the three year old has a really hard time dealing. Barrett threw so many tantrums yesterday that even Gabe was whining at him to stop it.

Again, reading this back is cracking me up, because I don't remember that high tantrum day! Even more exciting adventures coming the next day. Gabe described it as "The best day ever."   

No comments:

Post a Comment