Dear First Grade Gabe,
Today was the easiest first day drop off to date. Mommy only almost lost her emotional lock down one time. You were doing such a good job being brave about all this new stuff, I decided I could be brave too. :)
We put your clothes out the night before. You requested to wear "church clothes" which turned out to be a "nice" t-shirt and khaki shorts. The morning of Daddy went into work late so he could be home to see you to school too. He loves you and he loves being present for your important moments. He also knew I would want the help wrangling everyone.
The day before the first day was the school open house. You met your new teacher, dropped off all your supplies, and afterwards told me you knew "you were going to have a great year because she was the nicest teacher you've ever met". Her name is Mrs. Kraus and I was only a year younger than her daughter, Erika, growing up in school together. We thinks Mrs. Kraus is pretty nice too and we look forward to watching you bloom and grow in her room this year. We are confident in her teaching abilities and we hope you will always respect her in the classroom.
We snapped a few quick pictures on the porch before taking the short walk to school.
You were, apparently, getting too much of the limelight because when I was through taking your pictures, your little brother Barrett demanded to have his taken and I snapped this gem.
Ellie was happy to be out and about.
You can tell where the newbies are.
All the first graders were sitting neatly in their rows...maybe four parents watching.
Kindergarten, on the other hand, parents everywhere!
There you are sitting third from the end of the line.
Waiting patiently.
You are such a sweet boy.
You and Mrs. Kraus!
Sitting at your desk and probably over the picture taking.
Subtle, but definite changes from your first year at school.
You shocked me by conquering your fear of the diving board. You actually cried tears over the pool closing when you noticed at recess they were draining the water. I'm sorry we didn't make it back for one more swim.
In mid August I sat down with you to teach you to tie your own shoes. It took about ten minutes and several rounds of practice and you did it!
Your confidence was so high that I, kind of on a whim, suggested trying your bike without the training wheels. You protested at first, and it took a little bit of coercing, but then while Daddy was messing with Barrett's bike you just took off on your own and did it. You had finally decided you were ready and you just did it. No parent holding from behind to steady you. No falling over and skinning elbows or knees. You just started pedaling and kept at it.
We are so proud of you. I believe your cautious personality is a trait God chose just for you when he created you. It is a blessing and a challenge. It keeps you safe, and it allows you to assess situations before jumping in, but on the other hand being too cautious may keep you from experiences you were meant to have and enjoy. That's where God comes in. Find your courage, your strength in God, and He will keep you safe and steer you on the right path...whether it be scary to you, or not.
We love you and hope you have another awesome year of growth spiritually, academically, and relationally.
~Mommy














No comments:
Post a Comment