Proverbs 16:9

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."
Galatians 5:25

"Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Senior Night

Tonight is for the senior Lady Bruin softball players at Bartlesville High School.

Four years ago I was recruited to coach the junior high softball team. Throughout high school and college I always thought I might like to coach some day, but when I was actually presented with the opportunity I was scared out of my wits about being successful at it. I was never the star on the field. Not even remotely close. I never even had a quarter of the talent our current varsity players do. I knew about the game...well, a little. I knew what I had been taught. And, I knew I was willing to learn. Learn I did.

The first year I coached a very special group of eighth graders that led the team to an 18-1 winning season. They and their parents who had coached them for years before deserve all the credit. I merely scheduled practices and buses and wrote out the line up card. These girls were good. They played like no 13 and 14 year olds I had ever seen. The second year I moved to the junior varsity coaching position and assisted with the varsity. So, these girls were the only group to be with me my entire coaching tenure.

Of the original group of girls who played out that amazing first season, six remain. Six seniors who have played together since junior high. Six seniors, four of which have started on varsity since their freshman year. Six seniors who have made two trips to the state tournament. Six seniors, all of which are starting varsity players this year. Six seniors, currently ranked 8th place in the state for 6A schools.

Six seniors, all of which will always have a very special place in my heart.

Over the years I have witnessed all the best and worst moments with these girls on and off the field.

On the worst days I witnessed a lack of communication on the field and an over-communication off the field. I cringed as they fought with each other as teenage girls do. I hurt with them as they buried friends.

On their best days I saw them rally together to win a close game, to win two regional championships. I saw them pick each other up when things looked hopeless. I watched them welcome new players with a fair dose of kindness and competitiveness. I have watched the amazing raw talent they were born with honed and perfected as they grew through the age brackets. I shared in their goofiest moments on and off the field. I'll never forget the moment I announced the pregnancy of my first born. Never. I have seen them sweat and cry in the spirit of determination. I knew without a doubt they played with heart in every game. When life handed them challenges no teenage group should have to deal with they played with strength, class, and their whole hearts.

And, it ain't over yet. They've had their senior night, but the toughest battle is yet to come. The battle back to the state tournament. I will watch with pride as they finish this season, no matter the outcome. I will watch with pride as they go on to college and may or may not continue playing ball.


Jerelyn, Caitlin, Macy, Brandi, Sadie, and Sadie....


 ....thank you for the years you have shared with me and my family. 


We may lose touch as the years go by, but I will never forget what you taught me and the wonderful times we had together.

No comments:

Post a Comment