Bah-ha-ha-ha! He-heh-heh-he! Ha-ha-ha-ha!
Tonight was our school district's teacher of the year reception. At this reception the district recognizes individual schools for their academic achievement awards, teachers who have earned advanced degrees, teachers who have earned national board certification, employees with 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, and 35 years of service, and the teacher of the year for Bartlesville Public Schools.
I was recognized for my five years of service. Five years people! That's five years since I've graduated college and eight years since I graduated high school! How is that possible?! I was shocked when I received the email stating I'd been with the district for five years. I just can't imagine it's been that long. Some days I still feel like such a first year teacher.
Gabe and I just before the reception.
Not to mention the fact that I thought I'd be here two years tops and then moving back to Kansas. Stinkin' economy....no, I can't blame it all on that. I belive God's got a plan for us....it's not my plan, but He's got a plan and right now it's here in Bartlesville. But isn't that how it's supposed to be? Not easy, just how it is.
Back to the reception. So, everybody who's anybody in education goes to this reception. School board members, superintendent, director of human resources, directors of curriculum, principals, counselors, teachers and so on.
But let me just sound off about one thing before I move on. This is the one day of the year that the district takes to specifically honor its teachers and all of their accomplishments. As a school board member wouldn't you make it a priority to be there? Wouldn't you think it's definitely a "required" event as part of your service to the school? Okay, off my soap box now...
Looking all sweet and innocent before his big show.
I knew going in that taking Gabe was a bit of a risk. But, we went in well prepared (so I thought)....we had crackers, water, toys, and a book in his bag. We arrived on site at 5:30, show to start at 6. And, they kept the doors to the auditorium locked until 6. So, we stood outside the doors waiting to be seated and played pass the baby with Gabe. On one of my turns Gabe reached right on beyond me to....ummm....what is the right word???....pet? caress? .....I'll go with pet....he reached right on beyond me to pet an unsuspecting teacher's hair. And, some would think that would be the height of embarrassment....but, oh no.....it was just the beginning.
We were finally seated and Gabe did fairly well for the first half hour. But by the second half hour it was all downhill....and fast. He had lots of "bite?"s (and asked very politely, but also very loudly for each and every one), drank from his sippy cup and then let it roll down the aisle under a chair a couple rows up, "passed" his toys to the gentleman in front of us (more like tossed his toys at), moved from my lap to Da-dee!'s lap about 354 times, danced like dancing was going out of style when the orchestra played music from 'Slumdog Millionaire' and 'Pirates of the Carribean'. Seriously the kid was "raising the roof", "throwin' his hands in the air, like he just don't care", and all those other phrases that mean dancing like a mad man.
After I received my pin he became unhappy with sitting in the chairs so I moved to the side of the auditorium hoping to allow him enough freedom to roam without being a disturbance. Not such a good idea. Because when I had to pick him up to allow someone to pass by he chose to scream bloody murder. It happened to also be the exact moment they were about to announce the winner of the Kurt Schmolt award. So, of course the entire auditorium was silent except for my screaming kid. At that point we decided to call it an evening and we came home before Gabe had the opportunity to ruin the biggest announcement...teacher of the year.
So, winner of the Kurt Schmolt award, we're sorry. Congratulations anyway. Next year we'll find a sitter.
You have friends that can watch him!
ReplyDelete