Proverbs 16:9

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."
Galatians 5:25

"Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit."

Monday, March 1, 2010

Stepping Into a New Chapter

It's only 7:20 and Gabe has already gone to bed for the evening. His disposition has been a little less than pleasing today and it's probably for the lack of sleep he had last night because of a cold he's acquired.

So, tonight's post is going to be about me. Lucky you! JK.

Since softball season ended last October I have been left to contemplate whether I would continue coaching next year. At the end of the season I told our head coach I would not be returning. I explained to him how very difficult it was on Casey and myself for me to coach. Casey's schedule changes on a daily basis and it became quite a challenge working out where Gabe would go during practice or games. So, the head coach suggested I think about working with the junior high, which is a much shorter schedule.
For four months now I have been weighing the pros and cons, had many discussions with Casey about it, and prayed to be led to make the right decision. And, I believe I have. Last Friday I returned my intention form to the athletic office, with the intention to not return to coaching.

I'm saying no to coaching now, but hopefully not forever.

Here are some of my favorite moments from this season...


Celebrating, after the final out in the Regional Championship game.


Hugs for winning!

This photo is a testament to just how high emotions were running during this game. I would say that neither Coach Sheffield, nor myself are really huggers. On the very same day our girls laid it all out there to win the regional championship they buried a fellow classmate and close friend. The adversity they faced and overcame was more than enough to make all of us coaches (of which I am the only female) hug for the joy and pride we had for the girls.


#1 in the Region!


Gabe and I just after the game.


Kneeling before our last game at State.


Our awesome pitcher/catcher duo.

I have been coaching the girls who will be seniors this next season since they were eighth graders. I have invested four years of my life in this group of girls. So, this was not a decision that came easily and it was not a decision I wanted to have to make.

Last season was a stressful time managing all of my responsibilities with teaching, being the department chair, coaching, being a wife, and being a mom. I hate to do anything halfway. And last season I felt I was giving just a little bit of me to all of those responsibilities instead of doing a couple of things really well. My husband probably suffered the most, and I do not want to live that way. I really had to think through my priorities as they were and as I want them to be. And, I decided my family is first priority. As Casey told you last week, he will be returning to school in June. Asking him to go to school full time, work full time, and take care of Gabe while I'm in softball season is just too much to ask.

I am confident in my decision. I will miss coaching, but I want to focus on what I'll be gaining by giving it up.

I am very excited to step into this new chapter of our lives. It will surely be filled with all kinds of new challenges, but I believe God will make stepping stones out of our stumbling blocks if we remember to follow His lead always.

No comments:

Post a Comment